Cefixime (Capsules/Suspension) is a semi-synthetic, Cephalosporin antibiotic for oral administration.
- Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Bronchitis (caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae and Hemophilus influenzae)
- Community-acquired Pneumonia
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infections (caused by Escherichia coli and Proteus mirabilis)
- In the treatment of otitis media (caused by Hemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, and Streptococcus pyogenes), sinusitis, pharyngitis & tonsillitis (caused by Streptococcus pyogenes)
- Uncomplicated gonorrhea (cervical, urethral) caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae (penicillinase-and non-penicillinase-producing isolates)
The use of cefixime should be reserved for infections where the causative Organism is known or suspected to be resistant to other commonly used antibiotics or where treatment failure may carry significant risk.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION:
The usual course of treatment is 7 days. In severe cases this can be extended to 14 days.
Adults and Children Over 10 Years of Age (Body Weight Is Greater than 50 Kg):
The recommended dose is 400 mg daily according to the severity of the infection, given either as a 400 mg single dose or as 200 mg in two divided doses.
Elderly patients may be given the same dose as recommended for adults. Renal function should be assessed, and dosage should be adjusted in severe impairment.
Children Younger Than 10 Years Of Age (Body Weight Is Lower Than 50 KG) – Pediatric Oral Suspension:
The recommended dosage for children is 8 mg/kg/day administered as a single dose or in two divided doses. The following table describes a range of periodic doses according to the weight of the child.
Children weighing more than 50 kg or older than 10 years should be treated with the recommended adult dose (200-400 mg daily), depending on the severity of the infection.
Daily dose according to the dispenser graduations
|40 mg||2 mL (once daily) or 1 mL (twice daily)|
|80 mg||4 mL (once daily) or 2 mL (twice daily)|
|100 mg||5 mL (once daily) or 2.5 mL (twice daily)|
|120 mg||6 mL (once daily) or 3 mL (twice daily)|
|140 mg||7 mL (once daily) or 3.5 mL (twice daily)|
|160 mg||8 mL (once daily) or 4 mL (twice daily)|
|180 mg||9 mL (once daily) or 4.5 mL (twice daily)|
|200 mg||10 mL (once daily) or 5 mL (twice daily)|
Cefia 200mg Capsules in packs of 2 X 5’s
Cefia 400mg Capsules in packs of 1 X 5’s
Cefia 100mg/5mL Suspension in pack of 30mL and 60mL bottle
Cefia DS 200mg/5mL Suspension in pack of 30mL bottle
Patients should consult with their physician before taking any medicine.